Saturday, February 16, 2008

Dad's in the Hospital

Dad was taken to Thomas Hospital in South Charleston last night. He was admitted after x-rays showed that he had pneumonia. I went to the hospital first thing this morning and the nurse said it was "aspirated pneumonia", which means that he aspirated (or I guess inhaled) either liquid or food into his lungs. He was running a fever, which they are giving him suppositories for. He has had diarrhea, as has the entire population of the nursing home, I guess, for the last couple of days, so that is continuing. They have him catheterized and on an IV, but he was still trying to raise up out of bed today. Talk about a strong-willed man! He's amazing! So don't give up on him yet, because I'm not. He's still putting out urine, his vital signs are stable as far as I know. My sister Pam got here Thursday and is staying till Wed. Donny just went home this past Wed. after staying with Mom for four days. Tim was here last weekend with his family, and he's driven back down today with Pam's husband Pete. So Mom and I have had some support. Of course, I don't want to leave out my brother Chuck, who has been a rock throughout this whole thing.

I'll try to write more tomorrow. Maybe I'll have better news. Till then, all my love, or as Dad would say, "Love you with all my heart and gizzard."

No comments: